Atomic Countdown

bigwave

• Community Moderator
6 minutes ago, Carlos said:

How do you pre order the digital version of the complete set? Can't see this anywhere yet.

Only thing I'm seeing at the moment is on Amazon Music. Keep checking back periodically.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, mich40 said:

I just created a ticket in the shop.  Let's wait and see what they say.

The news story on U2.com indicates that only  the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (Re-Assemble Edition) – featuring both How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb + How To Re-Assemble An Atomic Bomb - will be available as a dual digital release on 22nd November.  Thus I am assuming the full set including the remixes and live tracks will not be available digitally to purchase.

• Subscriber

Well then! 

When I first properly dove into U2 15 years ago HTDAAB was my favourite album. I found it very immediate and direct. Definitely getting a nostalgia kick from this. 

I'm surprised they decided to remaster it; the original master is still pretty punchy. If anything there's a couple of weird mixing choices that could use another look - for instance, on Vertigo the main guitar only comes through the left side of the stereo mix, right side is pretty much just bass until you reach the guitar solo (listen to it with earphones and take out your left one, you'll hear what I mean!). Hopefully it'll be worth it. 

Reassemble:
I've had a listen to the two tracks shared today. Picture of You (X+W) we already know (I've still got my copy of Medium, Rare & Remastered with Xanax & Wine on the tracklist sitting on my shelf!) - really cool embryonic version of Fast Cars. Really liked Country Mile as well. It sounds more like Bono now than Bono in 2004, so I'm guessing they went back and redid the vocals on at least some of those songs. On Country Mile it also sounds like Edge is doing a lot of the heavy lifting vocally - the same could be said of Songs of Surrender. Is this gonna be the case with more of whatever U2 put out from now on? 

In the little teaser, there's a bit of Happiness and then a bit of Luckiest Man In the World. The section of Happiness they teased clearly contains lyrics from Mercy but the instrumentation/arrangement sounds totally different, while Luckiest Man In the World sounds like the original instrumental of Mercy but with different lyrics. I don't know how that makes me feel. Obviously there are songs on the album that went through complete lyric rewrites before being finished (Picture of You (X+W)/Fast Cars, Native Son/Vertigo, All Because of You, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own). Questions: did they dig out another set of lyrics or just write a whole new one? Will Happiness have the original set of lyrics for Mercy or will it be the 2010 lyrics? Is Luckiest Man a complete rewrite or a partial one (IE did Bono do the same thing he did with Red Hill Mining Town in 2017 and insert new vocals alongside old vocals)? Is Theme From The Batman one we haven't heard before or is it a retitled Native Son? UPDATE: oh wait, it's literally a theme that Edge wrote for The Batman. 😂 

On the one hand it'll be good to have a studio version of Mercy without a mile of old YouTube compression, but the idea of never having a HQ version of that instrumental paired with those lyrics makes me sad. I dunno, maybe the official release will turn out to be fantastic. I live in hope. 

Here endeth the essay! Roll on 22 November!

Edited by peterferris8